The Province of Pampanga is known worldwide for its exquisite cuisine, the father and daughter Presidents, the first Filipino Cardinal, Rufino Cardinal Santos and other outstanding personalities.
Pampanga is also home to a number of Heritage Churches and Shrines, Betis Church and San Guillermo Parish Church is just two of them.
Betis Church is in the town of Betis in Guagua.
The baroque-inspired Betis Church was built around 1660. Known as the “Sistine Chapel of the Philippines” because of the ceiling paintings, which was done in 1939 by Macario Ligon and his teenage assistant Victor Ramos, who restored the paintings in the 70s.
The San Guillermo Parish Church in the Town of Bacolor.
The original church was built in 1576 by the Agustinian Friars on the lot of the rich landlord, Don Guillermo Manabat. After an earthquake destroyed the original church, a new church was erected in 1886 with the main retablo, side retablos and pulpit that are heavily gilded with gold leaves. The Baroque style church was half-buried with the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in 1991.
Looking forward to the next scheduled trip to Pampanga to visit more Heritage Churches and Shrines.